So after a few more visits to discuss the mounting of the steering box it was time to get on with it. The issue with the Tabs on the spline were overcome with filing the key ways out. I was then able to put the arm are the correct angle.
After talking to the Cert man again, He though the angle of the connecting arm shouldnt be to bad. So the plan is to try it with the standard arm, see how it going once its all up and running and we can alter it later if required. This way it reduces the amount of work required now, but also gives me scope to fine tune if required.
I also called into the engineer that I will be getting to do the certified welding on the steering box mounts and chatted to him and got the best way to mount the steering box. It was as I though, but best to get it double checked. He also help out with the key ways on the spline.
After talking to the Cert man again, He though the angle of the connecting arm shouldnt be to bad. So the plan is to try it with the standard arm, see how it going once its all up and running and we can alter it later if required. This way it reduces the amount of work required now, but also gives me scope to fine tune if required.
I also called into the engineer that I will be getting to do the certified welding on the steering box mounts and chatted to him and got the best way to mount the steering box. It was as I though, but best to get it double checked. He also help out with the key ways on the spline.
Steering box and arm all set at the right angles
First mounting hole drilled. I first clamped the steering box in place and used a center punch to indent center. The drilled a 5mm pilot hole.
Test fit after first hole and then marked and center punched the other hole.
Pilot hole drilled for the second mounting bolt
I also double / triple checked to make sure that the hole were straight vertically and horizontally. It they were when we went to put the lugs in it would be a nightmare. I used a stainless steel chop stick as my tool of choice.
Both mounts now done and steering box mounted to double check fit.
Looking good. The engineer will make lug that he will weld into these mount points. He will drill out to about 20mm and weld in the lug that will have the 10mm hole for the mounting bolts. Doing it this way give strengths back to the frame and will stop any deforming of the frame when the steering mount bolts are done up.
Next I had to cut the old radiator mounting off, as it was not required anymore. Since I was in the shed next to the wifes leotards that she makes for gymnastics, I couldn't use the grinder with a cutting blade. So it was good old fashioned hand hack saw.
Mount gone, will tidy up once I get the car out side so I can use the grinder.
Steering box mocked up with some of the joints i have to test, and double check clearances again.
I'm pretty happy with it so far, Will be very happy once I get the engineer to do all the welding on it.