Today was a good day, the joys of getting into work an 5am is that I get to leave early, So I had a good couple of hours to work on the radiator mounting frame.
The first thing that I need to make was a small angle iron mount that will be bolted to the frame. I am going to use the same holes that are used for the lights. So I measured and cut the 60mm lengths that I need and mark the positions of the holes so they matched up to the existing frame holes. First surprise. These holes were not straight. This made it very much a trial and fit process to get them all lined up. There was 5 mm difference on each of them.
Drilling the 4.5mm pilot hole before drilling the 10mm hole.
Test fit of one side then move onto the next one
Both done and now creating the cross bar, this is only temporary until I weld in the main radiator mount, the middle part of this will be cut out. It was easier to do it the way to make sure everything was square and lined up.
Ok the first really dumb thing that I have done, I welded the radiator frame on the wrong side of the cross member ....... S*$T, I think I said... plus a few other words. But the great thing about steel is that you get a second chance. So I cut the welds and ground it back and redid it correctly.
Once that was done I was then able to cut the middle cross member out. And there you have a completed in the rough a new radiator mount.
Welds, I will put end caps on and tidy it all up before the fine fit.
All test fitted into the car.
Radiator clamped to the frame and test fitted to make sure that it all fitted and the clearances are as I expected. It all fitted and I'm pretty happy with the result so far. I have to tidy up the mount but it works and fits around the steering box.
Now one thing that may up set the purist is that the radiator is not dead center. its about 20 to the left. Now to me that fine as I am going for a ratrod type feel with function over form, and don't want to hid things, as on a T-bucket you cant. So with the color scheme I have in mind and the other decorations I actually really like that its slightly off center.
Hell at the end of the day its my toy :)