So on a very frosty cold morning I started work on the pedal box. I had some idea on how I wanted to do it, But it was going to be a design / build as you go type of thing.
First I needed to get set up and it was cold.... a very hard frost.
First part was the main length of angle iron that ran from the transmission mount up close to the bell housing. Required cuts marked out.
Clamped up ready to weld.
This is the space that the pedal box will be going in. The pedal housings use to be just bolted to the plywood floor and they weren't very secure at all. So this new one will be supa dupa strong.
Welds done. Some dont look to flash but have good penetration.
Mock up fit with one of the pedal housings to make sure that I have it correct, time to move on to the other side.
Since there is no real support for the left hand corner I decided to double up the angle on the front plate to give it added strength. So that when you use the clutch it wont be able to twist down.
Another test fit and to make sure the clearances are all good for top and bottom near the bell housing.
The double front and one of the pedal housings mounted.
This old support for the rack and pinion steering needed to be cut out so I can get the other side done to mount the other pedal.
The magic cutting blade and the old mount is gone.
Another trail fit, this time with the other side mount all welded in and the other pedal housing mounted. The clamps and the box section hold in place and also level with the chassis rail.
The last task was to mount the the cross member at the rear, This has two functions, one added strength and a extra mounting point for the hydraulic clutch reservoir.
The old clutch mount cut and welded into its new home.
That completes 90% of the pedal box. It took way longer than I though it would. That is over 5 hours of thinking, cutting, welding grinding, redoing errors. But I am very happy with the out come.