Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Final chassis work ... I hope

Today was getting everything ready to take to the engineer to do the finishing welding on the body mounts, pedal box and the new front cross member come radiator mount.

So I welded the top side of the mounts, this is as far as my welding skills go, I tried the vertical and the bottom (upside down) welds and soon gave up as I was making a complete hash of it.


Here's one of my welds, once I had done all the weld I ground them back to make sure I didn't have any high spots where the body will sit.


The new mounting for the radiator. I got rid of the bolt on ugly mount that I had created earlier. This has a much clearer line and give extra strength due to adding another cross member. The mount is set so the steering box to will fit in on the left.

I did some larger tack welds to hold the cross member in, Ill get the engineer to weld the rest.


The next step was to tack weld in the pedal box that I had created. I clamped it in to make sure that I was level with the chassis and the new mounts.




So tack welded that in, I had to use fairly large beads so that is wouldn't move. All done.


Double checking that everything is level for when I put the body on.


Well there's the beast already to get the final welding done. I just now have to figure out how to get it there, and hopefully not have to spend to much money to get all the certified welding done.