Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Throttle and return springs finally done

Well after much hmm and harring and mucking about I have finally got the throttle cable and return springs sorted. the reason for the hassle was that on the new Holley card for whatever reason the armature that the cable attaches to didnt have a location to month the return springs. All other Holley carbs i have looked at do have this, but not the new 465cfm one I got.

So besides needing to get extra parts and two days of running around getting lots of little bits and pieces I finally got it all sorted.


First pile of new stuff to go on the rattyT, large 14inch Edelbrock air filter, with the same design as the valve covers, a fire wall mounted throttle pedal and a universal throttle cable mount.





Next was a universal throttle cable, 24inchs long. I also got a few other parts that were missing. Once was the double threaded bolt that screws into the carb and the screw to hole the are filter on, and a little angle bracket that I used to mount the throttle return springs (shown below)
So the little angle bracket was placed at the front of the manifold, there was a 3/8s bolt hole that was in the manifold that I could use to mount this. To get high enough I drilled out a 3/8s nut as a spacer. this raised it above the manifold mounting bolt that was right beside the "spare" bolt hole. (you have to zoom in to see that detail)
next was the universal throttle cable mount at the back of the carb. This fitted perfectly, So I now have a simple direct pull action on the throttle springs. I mad sure I get the full travel and there is even tension through the full movement of the throttle.



Next on was the Air filter. hit a small snag with this also. The filter came with a deep dished base (This lowers it over the carb) This caused the two spurs on the top of the carb to hit the top of the air filter, which meant that could use it. So I headed back and was able to get a flat base and it all fitted nicely.
I think that is fills the space thats there, Since the removal of the tunnel ram it looked naked. But now that thinks are going back on its starting to take on the look Im after.



All fitted and sorted, well until I try and setup the throttle pedal.