Sunday, July 19, 2009

Electric fan and headlight mounts

So after I did the manifold install I started on the electric fan install. Since I had made a custom radiator mount the mounts on the electric fan were not going to work.

So I cut all the existing mounts off the electric fan. I now fitted nicely inside the new frame, all I had to do was make a new mounting system. I decided to use sheet metal "tabs" that were riveted to the plastic fan and then they would be bolted to the new radiator mount. I wanted to make sure that if it was required I could remove the electric fan with out to much hassle.



The above shot shows the electric fan lying on the radiator, and the tabs mocked up to mount to the radiator and the new mounting bracket I had made up. The tabs were hand cut.



I used the sheet metal that came out of the floor of the Ratty. As you can see it was a bit tatty, but was perfect for what I needed.



After all the tabs were done (two each side) they were riveted to the fan surround. I made sure that the rivet ends would not rub the radiator once mounted. The rivets were stainless steel. I also made a backing plate so that the rivets didn't pull through the plastic fan surround, I also used two rivets on each tab to make sure that was no movement.




After all the tabs were done, a quick spary of black paint.


Here is the finished painted tabs sitting on the Radiator, all that needs to happen how is the mounting frame to have the bolt holes drilled and it all bolted together.


The next job was to move the head light mounting points. They use to be on ugly alloy arms. and since the whole front end has changed with the new steering box I needed to move the lights. The perfect place was on top of the shock mounts. So it was time to get out the tap and die set.



The hole location measured and marked ready for drilling.


The headlight mount threaded in to the newly drill and taped hole.


Both headlight mounts done.





Lights and the radiator installed and mocked up to check clearances.


Plenty of room behind the electric fan and around the lights and radiator.
In all not a bad 5hr worth of work.