Sunday, July 19, 2009

Install the new manifold

Well I got some time on Saturday to work on the car. So I decided to bite the bullet and have a go at installing the inlet manifold. After some reading (Not enough, more on that later) I started the process of installing the manifold.

The heads are all clean and rubbed down with alcohol to remove any grease & oil. I did this at least 5 time to make sure.


Next I applied the gasket goo, on the heads.




One side done, as you can see the dowel holding it in place. the other side done ready for the gasket.


To make sure I got a good seal, I also added gasket goo to the gasket before putting it on the heads. My thinking was that would make sure I had a good seal. Since this is my first time I was proberly over cautious and used to much gasket goo.


Now this is where I think I went wrong on the whole process.  As I then went and also put gasket goo on the topside of the new gaskets & the new manifold. And after I had finished I read the book I have on rebuilding ford engines, and it said to only use gasket goo around the water inlet ports on the top. But by that time I have already installed the manifold, and tightened it down.


Manifold with gasket goo.

Gaskets with gasket goo. The above shot also shows where I just used the gasket goo on the block ends instead of using the cork gaskets. This was the  recommended way to go by a number of people who know what they are doing. So there was a thick bead of gasket goo on the block as well as the manifold. Time will tell if i got it right when I get to fire the old girl back up ... that's when I will find if I have any oil leaks.


Manifold on and tightened down. I followed the book I have to make sure I did the bolts in the right order. I don't have a torque wrench yet so did it to best guess.


Now that the manifold is on it was time for the new carb to be test fitted. First up was the carb stud bolts.




Here it is already for the carb, Gasket and bolts in place.



Carb now sitting in the manifold. I only finger tightened the nuts.

So that's the manifold on, I will have to go and check with people who know what they are doing what the implications are of me going gasket goo happy.