Sunday, July 26, 2009

Sunny Sunday, Time to remove the rack and pinion steering

So after going to the beach it was time to get some work done on the RattyT. Todays plan was to remove the old steering and look at the seating.

First task was to roll / push her out of the garage so I had some more room to work on it since I was having to crawl underneath to get at all the bolts.


I am liking the look with the new manifold, card and air filter.



Right, fist step was to unbolt the upright steering column, This was a tricky job as I was alone and needed to be in two places at once. This was due to the bolts turning when I tried to undo them.
Once the bolts were undone the outer guide was removed. Next was the actual column and that was a single bolt at the bottom of the shaft. Once a gain a real pain to get at and undo.




Next was to undo blots holding the rack itself. Once again a real pain of a job under the car in tricky places. Took twice as long as it should but I finally got them all undone.


I had to undo the drag arm. What I did find was that the old drag arm was long enough to be cut and reused for the next custom made one Ill need for the new steering setup. So that will be a little saving.






I then spent some time trying different seat heights using block of wood to try and figure out how high I wanted it. I came to no real decision on it. As the comfort become worse as I lower it.
So more experimentation required.