Monday, November 16, 2009

Seat belt upper mount

I started the upper seat belt mounts. The path of least resistance is to have them mounted on the roll bar. The first thing I made was the spacers as I had to make sure that the belt didn't rub against the body.

I drilled out the holes through the roll bar for the crush tube and made up the spacer, 25mm box with an 3mm end cap welded and drilled. I then welded it all in place.



Seat belt bolted on to test all the clearances.



Belt clears the body.




The fat pilot and co pilot testing it all out.





Also after talking to the certifier I needed to brace the roll bar, So that required triangulation. So based on the information that I was given that day I went ahead and did the brackets below.





Now been overly cautious I went and showed photos to the certifer what I had done. The upper mounts were ok, but the rear brackets were two low, they needed to be no further than 200mm from the anchor bolt. So I had to cut them off and redo them. Below is the result, I also have to brace under the upper mount. That will be my next item on the todo list.