The next task was to find a space for the battery. It came with a really ugly thing, but since the seat is going to be a lot lower, and all the other changes Ive made I needed to mount the battery in a new location. It had to sit lower, bit not to low. So after noodling about it over the week the basic plan was formlated and very rough plans and measurements taken.
I was "allowed" some time to work on the Ratty on Sunday so got stuck into creating my custom battery box. It was also a chance to try out the tools I have collected over time. One of those was a sheet metal nibbler, one of the types that go on the end of the drill.
After measuring up the basic pattern it was time to start cutting. I clamped a section of angel iron as a guide to get a straight line.
The nibbler and drill in the vice ready to make the first cut.
After a little trial and error got a nice clean cut.
More measuring and cutting
A while ago I got a basic sheet metal bender, this was unpacked and used to make the bends in the base of the battery box, then the sides were cut to fit.
Tacking the box together, lots of little tacks to try and reduce heat warp.
Both sides tacked in place. You can also see the angle iron that is about to be welded in place as the mount for the battery box. The battery box will be bolted in-place.
The angle iron mounts welded in place. They are different heights as the chassis rails that they are to be bolted to are different thickness.
The final welds completed and cleaned up , and the two angle iron mounts also completely welded on.
Clamped in-place ready to drill the mount bolt holes.
View from ground level looking back checking ground clearance.
I was pretty happy with the results, not bad for a novice.